Friday, August 31, 2007

Bird Woman of Alcatraz

This one appeared on my myspace on June 8, 2006. Thought i'd post it over here (this will be happening with most of my myspace posts intermittently).

On Tuesday, while I was visiting with my mom, she remarked that the robins outside had been screeching all day due to her enterprising cats waiting at the bottom of the trees for the fledglings that were sporadically dropping down. Eager to see a fledgling, I took a peek outside just in time to see a baby robin pretty much fall into her latest adopted monster Diesel s mouth. Quickly I shooed the cat away and picked up the failed flier. It was very scared but seemed to be unhurt. I decided to put it in the tree that contained its screeching parents. Within minutes, the adults had knocked it out of the tree and were dive bombing it on the ground.

Having had enough of that, I scooped up the little thing with the intent on taking it home for the night, then sending it off to the Audubon Society in the morning. Mom helped me assemble a cardboard box and gave me a half dozen worms that my brother had to feed his single piranha. He also has one scorpion and one black widow dont ask me. I stopped by the pet store and got a small cage and some baby bird food. By the time I got it home, the little bird had come out of its shock and was chirping industriously inside the box.


My own cats were pretty interested in the contents of the box, but I sent them outside and put it in the cage. At first I tried to feed it some baby bird formula, but it wasnt having it. So I put it in the bathroom and closed the door. As the light left this hemisphere the baby robin went to sleep.

In the morning, precisely when the sun rose, the bird began chirping. I called my boss to say I would be in late and explained the situation. Then I went into the bathroom to see if it wanted to eat yet. It lightly clicked its beak at me, then opened up for some worms. This was a very cute bonding moment, because for the next couple of hours as it got hungry again, it would see me and click its beak, and I would feed it again. VERY CUTE. The inside of its beak was a bright yellow, and its red feathers were just coming in.

The lady at the Audubon said if it wasnt hurt, and was a fledgling, it would be better off if I placed it in a box in a tree rather than bring it to them. So that is what I did. All Wednesday I felt anxious for the bird, but toward the end of the day I kind of hoped it would still be there in the box waiting for more worms.

Alas, it was not to be, as the little bird was no where in sight. I am optimistic that it finally flew away and would soon become an adult robin, but it was still a little sad not to see it again. Regardless, I am going to keep my eyes open for robins in my area, just in case one of them is MY robin.

No comments: